Future Science Teacher Information
Thanks for considering a career in science teaching. This is a quick overview of things you need to know.
Use the "details" links when you need more complete information.
Credential Program Preparation (details)
To become a teacher in California you must earn a teaching credential.
This section describes how to prepare for the credential program at CSU Chico.
- Earn a Bachelor's Degree - any degree will do, but some are better than others - see below.
- Basic Skills Requirement
There are many free alternatives and waivers listed here.
If none of the alternatives apply, take and pass the CBEST
- Earn Subject Matter Competency - this can be done any one of three different ways.
- Complete an approved science program:
- Pass the CSET tests - (information
You will need to pass test 215 for all science credentials. High school credentials require a second test as well.
When you pass, the Center for Math and Science Education will reimburse you for the fees.
- Approval of the Subject Matter Advisor - Convince a Subject Matter Advisor
you have completed the equivalent one of the approved programs.
- Complete the Credential Program Prerequisites/Co-requisites (details)
The pre-req's must be completed before you can enter the program.
The co-req's can be completed prior to or during the program.
All of these except EDTE 530 can be taken online.
||Speech Communication Fundamentals
||American Government: National, State, Local
||Perspectives in K-12 Teaching (45-hour requirement)
PHYS 489T is a recognized substitute for this course.
||Access and Equity in Education
||Fundamentals of Teaching Practice
||Teaching Special Populations
||Health Education for Secondary School Teachers
||Second Language Acquisition
- Apply to the Credential Program (details)
To start in the fall, the deadline is Mar 1. To start in the spring, deadline Oct 1.
Contact the School of Education as early as possible.
Scholarships - (details)
- MSTI Scholarships - up to about $4,000 per year
- Noyce Scholarships - over $12,000 per year